According to Pew Internet and American Life:
- 31% of American adults say they know someone who has used a dating website
- 15% of American adults – about 30 million people – say they know someone who has been in a long-term relationship or married someone he or she met online.
- Three out of four internet users who are single and looking for a romantic partner have done at least one dating-related activity online—ranging from using dating websites, to searching for information about prospective dates, to flirting via email and instant messaging, to browsing for information about the local singles scene.
- 37% of those who are single and looking say they have gone to dating websites. A majority of them say they have had positive experiences and believe their use of such sites helps them to find a better match. A notable number of these online daters have found firsthand that lasting romance can be forged online; 17% of them say they have entered long-term relationships or married someone they met through the services.
At the same time, while online dating is becoming more commonplace, there are still concerns in the wider public about the dangers of posting personal information on dating sites and about the honesty of those who pursue online dating.
We’ll explore these topics and more at our February 21st Social Media Club meeting. Leadership team member Sean Dhillon is assembling a lively panel who have said they would be willing to share their experiences first hand. Join us for an interesting and entertaining evening:
- Monday February 21, 2011
- 6:45 – 9:00 pm
- 1415 Broad Street, Victoria BC
- $5.00 admission